Thank you for choosing adoption! We look forward to helping you find the right match for you family. Please read ALL of the information below before completing your adoption application. Please note that there is a $150 adoption fee for all our dogs. This helps us cover the costs for spaying/neutering your new pet, getting them up-to-date on all vaccines, micro-chipping and heartworm checks/preventative.
- The questions on our application are not meant to insult anyone or invade anyone’s privacy. We have found these questions necessary in ensuring a successful adoption. Please feel free to ask us about any question and we will be glad to explain the necessity of that particular question.
- Our adoption application serves to help us match the right animal with the right family. Please complete the entire application, or it will not be processed. Submitting an application does not commit you to adopt, nor is it automatic approval.
- If you do not receive a verification email within 24 hours of submitting your application, then please reach out to us, as it may not have been successfully submitted.
- Please allow 5 business days for your application to be processed. Someone from our organization will contact you within this time frame regarding the status of your application.
- Adopters must be at least 21 years of age
- Veterinarian checks are conducted on ALL applicants.
- If you are a first time pet caregiver, please provide the name and number of the veterinarian you plan to use.
- Your pets MUST be up to date on all vaccinations, spayed/neutered, and on a heartworm preventative (unless there is a medical condition that prevents any of these) or your application will not be approved.
- We may request to do a home visit or to have photographs of your home.
- We welcome out of state applications! The applicant must be willing to travel to our area to pick up the animal. We do not ship our animals!
- Some of our dogs may require fenced yards. This will be determined on a case by case basis.
- We do not allow adoptions in cases where the dog will be kept outside without access to indoors.
- We encourage our adopters to enroll in basic obedience classes with their new dog. In some cases, this may be a requirement.
- All adopters are required to sign a legally binding contract that will be strictly enforced.
- All animal are to be returned to us if, for any reason, the adopter cannot keep or care for their pet. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- We do not adopt our animals out to homes with intact animals (with the exception of medical conditions)
- If your pet has not been spayed/neutered, please contact The Humane Society of Wilkes (if you are a Wilkes County resident) for information on low cost spay/neuter options for your pet.
All questions on the application must be answered or your application will not be processed.